This course is suitable for all non-technical personnel employed within the Distilling Industry who would benefit from background knowledge in distilling production, (sales, marketing, HR, finance) or anyone who has just started a technical career within the distilling industry. The course content is as follows: Raw Materials, Fermentation Theory, with an evening event focused on tasting and styles, Fermentation Technology, Distillation Technology Batch and Continuous, Specific Production Details for: Malt and Grain Whisk(e)y, Brandy, Rum, Gin and Vodka, Maturation and Blending, Packaging, Distillery Co-products, Quality Management Systems, Quality Process Control, Quality, Flavour, Quality Hygiene and Cleaning Systems, Plant Maintenance Philosophy, Health and Safety and Distilling and the Environment.
Why should you attend?
- You will receive a thorough grounding in the Technology and Art of distillation.
- The course includes field visits to two local distilleries.
- An introduction to the consumer aspects of distilling.
- Sessions on styles and blending.
- Complete with a closing night dinner extolling the virtues of the wide variety of spirits.
- City & Guilds Accredited Examination and Certificate.
Ideal for professionals working in the following sectors:
- The Production of Spirits.
- The Technical Aspects of Distillation.
- The Distilling Supply Chain as Suppliers.
- Non-technical roles within the distilling industry (HR, Finance, Sales, and Logistics.)
Exam Information The Fundamentals of Distilling exam takes the form of one two-hour multiple choice exam consisting of 50 questions. The pass mark is set at 66%. Candidates with a score of 66%-79% will receive a ‘Pass’. Candidates scoring over 80% achieve a ‘Credit’ pass while those attaining 90% or more are awarded a ‘Distinction’ pass. The Fundamentals of Distilling examination has City & Guilds accreditation at Level 2 of the National Qualification Framework in the UK (or equivalent internationally recognised standards).
IMPORTANT NOTES: Candidates for the IBD Examination will register directly with the IBD with forms provided by Seattle Central College once course registration is complete. In addition to the exam fee, which is paid directly to the IBD, there is a $25 computer test fee, payable to Seattle Central College. This fee is included in the course fee; however, if you choose to take the exam at another testing center, you will not be required to pay the computer test fee to Seattle Central College.
Registration for this exam must be completed by April 12, 2016.
The exam fee is currently £290, payable in UK Sterling directly to the IBD, London, UK. The qualification examination will be offered at Seattle Central College on Friday, April 22, before the end of the course.